* 14. March 1814 in Aschaffenburg
† 17. February 1869 in Würzburg
From 1833 on, Joseph Scherer studied medicine and science in Würzburg and did his doctor’s degree in 1836 to become a doctor of medicine and surgeon. After practicing as a balneologist, he studied inorganic chemistry in Munich. Subsequently to working as the assistant of Justus Liebig, he responded to the offer of the University Würzburg, where he had a marking influence on the clinical chemistry in modern sense. Further milestones in his research were the early chemical study of naturally occurring substances, as well as the identification of several compounds as components of human body fluids and organs.
He dwelled in the former facilities of the Institute of Chemistry in “Maxstraße 4”.