* 9. October 1852 in Euskirchen
† 15. July 1919 in Berlin
Emil Fischer initially studied in Bonn and Strasburg, before he did his doctor’s degree under Adolf von Baeyer, whereon his habilitation treatise followed four years later. In 1885, after a stopover in Erlangen, he responded to the offer of the University Würzburg to become the director of the Institute of Chemistry. He spent seven years successfully teaching and researching in Würzburg and also encouraged the construction of one of the most advanced Institutes of Chemistry of this time. Fischer especially focussed on fundamental research, particularly on the exploration of naturally occurring substances. In 1902 he was rewarded for his findings in this area with the Nobel Prize.
His residence was located in the former facilities of the Institute of Chemistry in “Maxstraße 4”.