Deutsch Intern

Costs and Financing


There are no tuition fees at the University of Würzburg. But you have to pay the semester contribution each semester for enrolment or re-enrolment. It consists of a student contribution and the semester tickeet.

More detailed information  and the current amount of the semester contribution can be found on the websites of the Unit for Student Affairs.

The living costs in Würzburg are low compared to other German cities. Of course this also depends strongly on the individual life style, but you should expect monthly costs of about €940.

Eating €250
Living €350
Health Insurance €110
Other €212
Broadcasting fees (GEZ)* €18
Total €940


Further information can be found on the website of DAAD.

If you are staying in Germany longer than three months, you have to pay a broadcasting fee. The registration form can be found online or at banks and Sparkasse.

Monthly fee: €18.36

If you live in a shared apartment/ flat: Only one person of age must be registered and pay the broadcasting fee for each residence. Talk with your flatmates who will register at GEZ and how you will apportion the fees.

Information and forms: see website Rundfunkbeitrag

They also provide informations in different languages.


  • EU citizens (with right of permanent residence), refugees and students with settlement permit may receive BAföG.
  • Important: BAföG is an interest-free loan. This means, that you partially have to repay it (maximum €10 000).
    For further infomation please check bafö
  • You have to make your BAföG request at the responsible student service (Studierendenwerk).
  • Please note that it may take some months until your BAföG request is processed. Please make your request at least 3 months before starting your studies.

You can finance your studies or doctoral studies in Germany with the help of scholarships. There are different possibilities to receive a scholarship:

  • In your home country: Inform yourself about scholarships offered by the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of your home country.
  • In Germany: The database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) provides an overview of scholarships for foreign students and doctoral candidates. The DAAD also has offices abroad where you can get information before departure. Here you can find further information on scholarships for international students.
  • Another posibility for a scholarship is the a scholarship of the Begabtenförderungswerke.

Examples for scholarships/foundations:

Heinrich Böll Stiftung
Avicenna Studienwerk
Otto Benecke Stiftung e.V.
Evangelisches Studienwerk Villigst

If you want to work while you are studying in Germany, please note the following information:

  • Students from countries within the EU and the EEA are on equal terms on the labor market and are allowed to work during studies;
  • Students from other countries are allowed to work 120 days of full-time work or 240 half days per year (which also concludes voluntary internships). If you would like to work more, you need a permission from the agency for employment (Agentur für Arbeit) or the immigration office (Ausländerbehörde);
  • Important: Be sure your studies do not suffer if you have a side job! Please read the information  on the legal framework of the DAAD.
  • Find further information on the website of Deutsches Studierendenwerk.

On the following pages you can search for job opportunities in Würzburg: