In order to be admitted, by the time of admission (not application!) you must have finished a BSc study program of at least 3 years (in some countries outside Europe 4 years) with an equivalent of 180 credit points according to ECTS (European Credit Transfer System). If you apply from outside Europe, your BSc study program will generally be considered as equal, but will be evaluated for equivalence in case of doubt according to the recommendations of ANABIN.
For those who have not yet finished their BSc at the time of application, the transcripts of records must prove completion of 5/6 of a regular study program (e.g. 150 of 180 ECTS credit points in European study programs).
Marks derived from all kinds of different scales used outside Germany will be recalculated to the German scale according to the following formula:
x = 1 + 3 (Nmax - Na / Nmax - Nmin)
with Nmax= best possible mark (or GPA or percentage or whatever shows up in your transcripts and diplomas) on your local scale, Na = applicant's actual average mark; Nmin= lowest mark on your local scale which would still allow you to successfully complete (=pass) your study program.
According to the formula above, "x" has to be 2.4 or better (= lower than 2.4).
- Your local scale be from 0-4 (4=best possible result)
- at least a mark of 2 is required to pass
- you have scored an average of 3.2
Then x=1+3(0.8/2)= 2.2; 2.2≤2.4, so good enough to apply.
We ask for your grade points and marks on the online application form. Please be diligent in providing them! If you have any doubts, ask your local examinations office.
Your Bachelor's program must be in Biology or at least have a strong emphasis/specialization/major in some aspect of the Life Sciences (e.g. Biophysics, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Pharmacology, Pharmacy or similar). Substantial laboratory experience, most likely in the form of an experimental Bachelor thesis, is required. Please note that a prior education and training in a medical profession is NOT considered sufficient (exceptions may apply if substantial practical research experience in basic science can be demonstrated).
Proficiency in the English languageis essential, and we cannot compromise on that. All courses are in English. Exams, reports, publications and the thesis are to be written in proper English. If you have not taken one of the tests listed below at the time of application, that is no problem. You can provide the necessary documents up until admission is granted:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of >590 paper-based, or 240 computer-based or 95 internet-based
- International English Language Test System (IELTS) with a score of at least 6,5
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
- If you have other significant evidence of English proficiency (such as having already studied in English), application may also be possible. However, please note that regardless of the formal proof of English proficiency a real world test will be made during the application process, especially during the interview.
Knowledge of German not required. It is however certainly helpful for everyday life and we offer complimentary courses for our students.