University of Würzburg
Centre for Philology and Digitality
c/o Department for Artificial Intelligence
Phone: +49 931 / 31 - 80722
Fax: +49 931 / 31 - 86732
Major Research Grants
Project Participations as Technical Partner (selection)
- The Seven Sages of Rome: editing and reappraising a forgotten premodern classic from global and gendered perspectives (DFG/AHRC, 2023-26)
- Narragonia Latina. Bilingual hybrid edition of the Latin ‚Ships of Fools' by Jakob Locher (1497) and Jodocus Badius (1505) (DFG, 2022-25)
- Measuring the World by Degrees. Intensity in early modern medicine and natural philosophy (1400-1650) (DFG, 2022-25)
- Camerarius digital (DFG, 2021-24)
- Annotated Corpus of Ancient West Asian Imagery: Cylinder Seals (ACAWAI-CS) (BMBF, 2021-23)
- Thesaurus Linguarum Hethaeorum digitalis (TLHdig) (DFG, 2020-23)
- Kallimachos – Centre for Digital Edition and Quantitative Analysis (BMBF, 2014-19, member of the Narragonien digital project group)
- Richard Wagner Writings. Historical-critical complete edition (Academy Program, 2013--29)
- 2015-2020: Doctoral studies at the Chair for Artificial Intelligence and Knowledge Systems (University of Würzburg). Doctoral thesis: An Intelligent Semi-Automatic Workflow for Optical Character Recognition of Historical Printings
- 2009-2015: Studies of Computer Science (Master, specialized in Intelligent Systems) at the University of Würzburg. Master thesis: Evaluation von Methoden zur Bildverarbeitung für Objekterkennung am Beispiel der Klassifikation von Bäumen
- Since 08/2021: Head of the Digitization Unit of the Centre for Philology and Digitality (University of Würzburg)
- 10/2018-07/2021: Provisional head of the Digitization Unit of the Centre for Philology and Digitality (University of Würzburg)
- 10/2015-10/2018: Research assistant at the Chair for Artificial Intelligence and Knowledge Systems (University of Würzburg)
- Best Paper Award at the 6th International Workshop on Historical Document Imaging and Processing for the paper Mixed Model OCR Training on Historical Latin Script for Out-of-the-Box Recognition and Finetuning
- Award from the Institute of Computer Science at the University of Würzburg for Exceptional Academic Achievements and an Outstanding Master's Thesis
- Member of IAPR, DAGM, EADH, DHd
- Founding chairman of DHd Working Group OCR
- Joint Organizer of the Working Group "Digital Edition" at the University of Würzburg
- Reviewer of research grants for several funding organziations in Germany and Austria
- Reviewer for various journals and conferences in the area of Artificial Intelligence, Pattern Recognition, and Digital Humanities; among others IJDAR, DHQ, JDMDH, JLCL, ICPR, VISAPP, DATeCH, QURATOR, EADH, and LREC
A (somewhat) complete list of publications I co-authored can be found here.
Open Source Handwritten Text Recognition on Medieval Manuscripts using Mixed Models and Document-Specific Finetuning. in 2022 15th IAPR International Workshop on Document Analysis Systems (2022).
Mixed Model OCR Training on Historical Latin Script for Out-of-the-Box Recognition and Finetuning. in 6th International Workshop on Historical Document Imaging and Processing (2021).
One-Model Ensemble-Learning for Text Recognition of Historical Printings. in Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition ICDAR 2021 (2021).
Calamari - A High-Performance Tensorflow-based Deep Learning Package for Optical Character Recognition. in Digital Humanities Quarterly (2020). 14(2)
OCR4all - An Open-Source Tool Providing a (Semi-)Automatic OCR Workflow for Historical Printings. in Applied Sciences (2019). 9(22)
Automatic Semantic Text Tagging on Historical Lexica by Combining OCR and Typography Classification. in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Digital Access to Textual Cultural Heritage (2019).
Improving OCR Accuracy on Early Printed Books by combining Pretraining, Voting, and Active Learning. in JLCL: Special Issue on Automatic Text and Layout Recognition (2018). 33(1) 3–24.
Improving OCR Accuracy on Early Printed Books by Utilizing Cross Fold Training and Voting. in 2018 13th IAPR International Workshop on Document Analysis Systems (2018).