University of Würzburg
Department for Artificial Intelligence
and Knowledge Systems
Phone: +49 931 / 31 - 80722
Fax: +49 931 / 31 - 86732
OCR4all - An Open-Source Tool Providing a (Semi-)Automatic OCR Workflow for Historical Printings. in Applied Sciences (2019). 9(22)
Automatic Semantic Text Tagging on Historical Lexica by Combining OCR and Typography Classification. in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Digital Access to Textual Cultural Heritage (2019).
State of the Art Optical Character Recognition of 19th Century Fraktur Scripts using Open Source Engines. in DHd 2019 Digital Humanities: multimedial & multimodal (2019).
Ground Truth for training OCR engines on historical documents in German Fraktur and Early Modern Latin. in JLCL: Special Issue on Automatic Text and Layout Recognition (2019).
Comparison of OCR Accuracy on Early Printed Books using the Open Source Engines Calamari and OCRopus. in JLCL: Special Issue on Automatic Text and Layout Recognition (2018). 33(1) 79-96.
Calamari - A High-Performance Tensorflow-based Deep Learning Package for Optical Character Recognition. in Digital Humanities Quarterly (submitted to). Preprint available at arXiv (2018).
Improving OCR Accuracy on Early Printed Books by combining Pretraining, Voting, and Active Learning. in JLCL: Special Issue on Automatic Text and Layout Recognition (2018). 33(1) 3-24.
Improving OCR Accuracy on Early Printed Books by Utilizing Cross Fold Training and Voting. in 2018 13th IAPR International Workshop on Document Analysis Systems (DAS) (2018).
Transfer Learning for OCRopus Model Training on Early Printed Books. in 027.7 Journal for Library Culture (2017).
Case Study of a highly automated Layout Analysis and OCR of an incunabulum: ‘Der Heiligen Leben’ (1488). in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Digital Access to Textual Cultural Heritage (2017).
LAREX – A semi-automatic open-source Tool for Layout Analysis and Region Extraction on Early Printed Books. in Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Digital Access to Textual Cultural Heritage (2017).
Expectation-driven Text Extraction from Medical Ultrasound Images. in Studies in Health Technology and Informatics (2016).
Autonomous Quadrocopter for Search, Count and Localization of Objects. in Recent Advances in Robotic Systems (2016).
Cross Dataset Evaluation of Feature Extraction Techniques for Leaf Classification. in International Journal of Artificial Intelligence & Applications (2016).
- Since 10/2018: Acting director of the Digitization Unit of the Centre for Philology and Digitality (University of Würzburg)
- 10/2015-10/2018: Research assistant at the Chair for Artificial Intelligence and Knowledge Systems (University of Würzburg)
- 2015-2020: Doctoral studies at the Chair for Artificial Intelligence and Knowledge Systems (University of Würzburg). Doctoral thesis: An Intelligent Semi-Automatic Workflow for Optical Character Recognition of Historical Printings
- 2013-2015: Studies of Computer Science (Master, specialized in Intelligent Systems) at the University of Würzburg. Award for exceptional academic achievements. Master Thesis: Evaluation von Methoden zur Bildverarbeitung für Objekterkennung am Beispiel der Klassifikation von Bäumen
- 2009-2013: Studies of Aerospace Computer Science (Bachelor) at the University of Würzburg. Bachelor Thesis:Implementierung und Evaluierung einer Objekterkennung für einen Quadrocopter