B/D: Academic Teaching in English (Online)
|Datum:||27.02.2023, 09:00 - 01.03.2023, 16:00 Uhr|
IN THIS COURSE, YOU WILL
- learn a range of techniques for how to open and close lectures memorably,
- widen your range of connecting language to skillfully structure oral presentations,
- discuss how to adapt presentations to international, heterogeneous audiences,
- practise handling a range of question types to be ready for difficult question & answer sessions,
- receive feedback on a small presentation to better understand where your own strengths and weaknesses lie.
This two-day webinar provides you with training and practice in giving professional lectures and presentations in English. By the end of the course, you will know how to give a memorable lecture with a clear message. You will additionally be given the linguistic tools to signal structure, build rapport with the audience, handle difficult questions and close classroom presentations confidently. We will also discuss how to adapt your presentations to international audiences of mixed English ability, and in the later sections of the course you will be given the opportunity to practise your English lecturing skills and to receive individualized feedback.
As the webinar aims to be as practical as possible, we will hold short presentations after lunch on day two to give you all the chance to move from the theory to the practice and to receive feedback on your skills. For this reason, all participants are asked to prepare a 6-8 minute presentation in advance of the webinar on a topic that they would typically teach. Some more information will be sent on this a week or two before the webinar begins, and we will set aside time during the webinar to incorporate new techniques into the presentation.
Course instructor: Dr Darren Paul Foster
- Monday, 27 February 2023 and
- Wednesday, 1 March 2023, from 9 am to 4 pm
- online (Zoom)
- Preparing a short presentation (6-8 min.) in advance of the seminar is mandatory in order to receive the certificate of participation. You will receive 1 AE for the presentation and 15 AE for participating in the online phase of the seminar.
- Participation fee: 70 € (Form of payment: bank transfer or internal billing. For internal billing, you can ask your chair [JMU only] whether the costs of this further training can be covered.)
- Work units (Arbeitseinheiten): 12 AE in area B and 4 AE in area D
- Availability: There are no free places left.
- This way to the registration form. Here you can also enter other courses for which you would like to register.