B/D: Using Humour in the Classroom (Online)
|Datum:||11.05.2023, 09:00 - 12.05.2023, 12:00 Uhr|
IN THIS COURSE, YOU WILL
- discuss the uses and benefits of using humour in class,
- consider how to adapt humour to specific audiences,
- practise a range of techniques to bring fun and humour to the classroom,
- reflect on which methods would best fit your teaching context
- receive tips on what to do if "it all goes wrong".
This course aims to help lecturers to use humour in the classroom successfully. We will discuss how humour can be used as a tool to boost content retention and to heighten our rapport with students.
Although we will discuss some theory related to humour, the main design of the course is to be as practical as possible. It will provide participants with a range of techniques designed to bring fun and humour to the classroom, and participants will practise a number of techniques themselves through controlled exercises. As well as considering good practice, the course will also point out types of humour to avoid, including forms of humour that may be culturally inappropriate or offensive.
By the end of the course, participants will feel more confident in integrating humour into their classroom activities in order to create a memorable learning environment.
Course instructor: Dr Darren Paul Foster
- Thursday, 11 May 2023 and
- Friday, 12 May 2023, from 9 am to 12 pm
- online (Zoom)
- The completion of asynchronous exercises is mandatory for obtaining the certificate of participation. You will receive 6 AE for participating in the online phase of the seminar and 2 AE for the asynchronous exercises.
- Participation fee: 35 € (Form of payment: bank transfer or internal billing. For internal billing, you can ask your chair [JMU only] whether the costs of this further training can be covered.)
- Work units (Arbeitseinheiten): 4 AE in area B and 4 AE in area D
- Availability: There are enough free places available.
- This way to the registration form. Here you can also enter other courses for which you would like to register.