Deutsch Intern
    Welcome Centre

    Visa, Residence and Working Permit

    International researchers and employees better arrange enough time for the visa application process when planning their stay in Germany.

    Each status group has to consider different aspects for the process. Thus, you may want to speak to the contact person at Julius-Maximilians-University who can best advise you according to your individual needs:

    • International students and phd-students are invited to contact the International Office to receive advice on matters related to admission and studies at our University.
      The International office also offers some basic information for students on the visa application process but advises students to directly contact the respective German embassy.
    • International guest researchers without an employment contract with Julius-Maximilians-University may address their respective department but can also contact the Welcome Center for questions concerning visa regulations.
      Please register with the Welcome Center using our registration form to receive individual support. The visa information below may also give you useful hints concerning application and registration processes.
    • International professors and research associates may contact the respective department as well as the human resources department and the Welcome Center.

      Here, you can download important information on  the visa application process, residence and working permits as well as the authorities in charge.

      Visa Application: Important steps for employees from non-European countries

    For further legal information on the application process, please, consult the German Embassy in your country of residence:

    List of all German Embassies worldwide

    On request, your department can issue you a hosting agreement ("Forschungsvereinbarung" or "Aufnahmevereinbarung"). The document is not mandatory for the visa application but may grant you some advantages.

    On the webpage of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees you can find more information on the content of hosting agreements and their use:

    Information on hosting agreements

    The following links provide further information on rights of residence: