The title of Honorary Senator is the highest distinction bestowed by the University of Würzburg. Figures in brackets indicate the year the title was awarded.
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Volker ter Meulen (2018)
After several research stays in the US Volker ter Meulen became department manager for clinical virology in 1971, and one year later an extraordinary professor at the JMU Würzburg. In 1975, he was appointed as an ordinary professor of clinical virology and immunology at the Institute of Virology, which he chaired until his retirement in 2003. He is the leading pioneer of moleculobiological virology and neurovirology. As a member and honorary member of various academies of science and associations he influenced the German as well as the international research community. Uncountable awards, e.g. the Max Planck Research Award, the Ernst Jung Medal for Medicine and the golden Robert Koch Medal as well as several Crosses and Orders of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany and of the Free State of Bavaria, appreciate his commitment. The JMU honored his long-time, extraordinary commitment with the golden “Bene-Merenti”-Medal and the Rinecker Medal of the Medical Faculty.
Prof. Dietmar Willoweit (2013)
Dietmar Willoweit held the Chair of German History of Law, Civil Law and Canon Law at the University of Würzburg for 20 years and was President of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities for five years. Willoweit's research focuses on the influence of the concept of law on the processes of state-building since the High Middle Ages and on related problem areas. These include the development of public criminal law in the Late Middle Ages and early modern period as well as the legal status of Jews in the Middle Ages.
Prof. Dr. Siegfried Hünig (2011)
Siegfried Hünig was Professor of Organic Chemistry from 1961 to 1988. During his time at the University, as the last Director of the then Institute of Chemistry, he took on the task of organising its transformation into the Institutes of Inorganic and Organic Chemistry. He also had to plan the new Chemistry Centre at Hubland Campus as this had outgrown its premises on Röntgenring.
Prof. Dr. Ernst Helmreich (2011)
Professor of Physiological Chemistry from 1968 until his retirement in 1990. During his time at the University he built up the Physiological Chemistry Department and led it to academic success both nationally and internationally. From the early 1970s onwards, he and biochemist Professor Guido Hartmann also designed and ultimately realised the University's Biocentre.
Prof. Dr. Kurt Kochsiek (2010) †
Professor of Internal Medicine and Head of the Medical Clinic from 1980 until his retirement in 1998. During his time at the University he established Cardio-Vascular Research and its collaboration with Physics in NMR imaging. This arrangement was the reason why Würzburg is leading the field in cardio-vascular research in Germany. This achievement was also founded on a successful appointment policy, which Kurt Kochsiek, as Dean of the Faculty of Medicine (1989-1991) and as Medical Director (1994-1997) of the University Clinic, helped significantly to shape.
Prof. Dr. Jörg Hacker (2009)
His work for the University of Würzburg began in the position of Professor of Microbiology from 1986 to 2008, then, in 1993, he was appointed to the Chair of Molecular Infection Biology. In this capacity, he also was the Speaker of the Research Center for Infectious Diseases and the Coordinator of the EuroPathoGenoMics excellence network promoted by the European Union. From 2008 to 2010, he was the President of the Robert Koch Institute at Berlin. Since 2010, Hacker has been the President of the Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina (German national academy of sciences).
Prof. Dr. Walter Eykmann (2009)
A member of the Bavarian Parliament from 1978 to 2008, he served on the Committee on Cultural and Educational Policy up until 1998 and as the Chairman of the Committee on Public Service Issues since 1986. It is due to his efforts that the University was able to establish technological degree programmes and that it was endowed with the groundbreaking first professorship for Secondary Education Pedagogy in Bavaria in 2005. In 2002, he was appointed Honorary Professor of the University of Würzburg (Chair of General Education Studies).
Manfred Ach (2009)
Member of the Bavarian Parliament from 1994 to 2008, serving as the Chairman of the Committee on the State Budget and Financial Issues. In this capacity, he always remained a loyal and unconditional supporter in the funding of the University's major construction projects.
Prof. Dr. Dieter Salch (2007)
Honorary Professor of Tax and Company Law since 2001. Member of the Associative Council of the Universitätsbund since 1990, Member of the Board since 1997. In 1991, Salch established a foundation in the context of the Universitätsbund, with the goal of promoting research and teaching, especially in the Faculty of Law. In 1999, he was appointed to the University Council, serving as Deputy Chairman for several years, before eventually becoming Chairman of this body.
Prof. Dr. Hans Zehetmair (2005)
Bavarian State Minister from 1986 to 2003, responsible, among others, for the portfolios of Science and Research as from 1989. Honoured for the constant support he provided to the University during the creation of its academic profile.
Prof. Theodor Berchem (2004)
President of the University of Würzburg from 1975 to 2003. His term of office brought about a number of decisions that led to Würzburg's rise into the top bracket of German universities. He initiated well-directed structural changes in order to enhance the strengths of the University. Among other measures, he introduced application-oriented degree programmes, promoted international cooperation, and expanded the collaboration with business companies.
Rosemarie Preh (2001)
Patron of the Universitätsbund and Preh Foundation. In 1990, she was appointed Honorary Citizen of the University of Würzburg for her merits in supporting research and teaching at Alma Julia. Rosemarie Preh was also honoured with the Bundesverdienstkreuz am Bande and the Bayerischer Verdienstorden (Orders of Merit awarded by the Federal Republic of Germany and the Free State of Bavaria respectively).
Dr. Franz Vogt (2000)
President of the Government of Lower Franconia from 1984 to 2000. In his activities on behalf of the University, he particularly supported the introduction of degree programmes in engineering.
Prof. Dr. Paul-Werner Scheele (2000)
Bishop of Würzburg from 1979 to 2003, for his close ties to Julius-Maximilians University, especially to the Faculty of Catholic Theology, and for his services to ecumenism and his merits as a scholar.
Dr. Herbert Brause (1995)
Honorary Doctor of the University of Würzburg (1980) and its constant patron. In 1976, he accepted a lectureship in School Education, which he also used to pass on his technical media expertise. In 1986, he established the foundation that bears his name, which, among other goals, promotes media education. The foundation has funded, for instance, the purchase of multi-media equipment at the ENT Clinic and the construction of the Language and Media Education Centres (ZfS and ZfM) on Hubland Campus.
Arnold Heimberger (1993)
Legal Adviser to the University of Würzburg from 1948 to 1978, Permanent Deputy of the Chancellor after 1969, he was honoured for his commitment to the resumption and further development of University activities after the devastation of the City of Würzburg in March 1945.
Dr. Michael Klett (1992)
Chairman of the Board of Klett AG (Stuttgart). The Klett publishing house has had close ties to the University since 1970, when it funded the first language laboratory. Michael Klett is committed to the University's goal of closing the rift between medicine/natural science and the humanities, especially in his capacity as co-organiser of the Würzburg Symposiums.
Dr.-Ing. Werner H. Dieter (1990), CEO of former Mannesmann Rexroth GmbH (Lohr/Main) since 1972, CEO of Mannesmann AG (Düsseldorf) since 1985, President of the Würzburg-Schweinfurt Chamber of Industry and Commerce from 1979 to 1982. He was instrumental in intensifying the exchange between the University and Lower Franconian business companies and promoted the CIC business donation on the occasion of the University's 400-year anniversary in 1982.
Dr. phil. h.c. Otto Schäfer (1990), Member of the Associative Council of the Universitätsbund Würzburg, Schweinfurt.
Freiherr Richard von Swaine (1990), Member of the Associative Council of the Universitätsbund Würzburg, Schweinfurt.
Albrecht Fürst zu Castell-Castell(1984), for his services to the University as long-term Chairman of the Universitätsbund.
Dr. iur. et rer. pol. Rudolf Maron (1978)
Heinz Günder (1967), President of the Government of Lower Franconia.
Gunnar Wester (1967), Consul of Sweden, CEO of SKF Schweinfurt.
Hellmut Metzing (1964), Consul of Guatemala, Proprietor of Zeidler und Wimmer, Kirchheim.
Dr. Werner Premauer(1962), Member of the Board of Directors of Bayerische Vereinsbank, Munich-Geiselgasteig.
Dr. Franz Steffen (1962), Member of the Board of Directors of Bayerische Vereinsbank, Munich.
Kurt Schuster (1961), Director, Rottach-Egern.
Dr. Hans Seidel (1959), Ministerpräsident of Bavaria, Munich.
Josef Kern (1959), Director of Überlandwerk Unterfranken AG, Würzburg.
Dr.-Ing. e.h. Georg Schäfer (1958), Co-proprietor of Kugelfischer, Georg Schäfer & Co., Schweinfurt.
Dr.-Ing. e.h. Karl Wilhelm Peterson (1957), Managing Director of SKF Kugellagerfabrik GmbH, Schweinfurt.
Dr. Franz Stadelmayer (1956), Mayor, Managing Director of Bayerischer Rundfunk, Würzburg.
Anton Gastreich (1955), Proprietor of Richter & Frenzel, Würzburg.
Dipl.-Ing. Josef Riepl (1955), Proprietor of construction company Josef Riepl, Munich.
Dr. Gotthold Wahl (1954), Director of Landesversicherungsanstalt Unterfranken, Würzburg.
Dr.-Ing. Friedrich Noell (1952), Kommerzienrat (commercial counsellor), Würzburg.
Prof. Dr. med. Dr. med. h.c. Fritz König (1951), Geheimer Medizinalrat (privy medical counsellor), Würzburg.
Prof. Dr. phil. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. med. h.c. Georg Rost (1950), Geheimer Regierungsrat (privy counsellor), Würzburg.
Prof. Dr. phil. Josef Martin (1949)
Jakob Preh (1942), Factory Proprietor, Würzburg.
Prof. Dr. Rudolf Denig (1938)
Rudolf Leonhardt (1933), Kommerzienrat (commercial counsellor), Würzburg.
Dr. med. h.c. Hans Löffler (1932), Mayor, Würzburg.
Dr. med. h.c. Dr. phil. h.c. Ferdinand Springer (1921), Berlin.
Georg Karl Völk (1929), Kommerzienrat (commercial counsellor) Würzburg.
Dr. iur. h.c. Julius Ritter von Henle (1929), President of the Government of Lower Franconia, Würzburg.
Dr. Josef Schneider (1927), Ophthalmologist, Milwaukee.