Awards are made by nomination only. Nominations are accepted on an ongoing basis. Please submit your nomination documents to Unit 2.2 (Team Financial Support and Lectureships) of the University’s Central Administration.
See below for excerpts from the Foundation’s statutes. Important information on the nature of the Foundation’s activities and the prerequisites for the awarding of grants is provided in Sections 2 and 7.
(The nomination form can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this page.)
Statutes of the Dr. Romana Schott Foundation for the Support of Female Students
In its letter dated 5 August 2004, the Würzburg local court informed the University of Würzburg that Dr. Romana Schott had instituted, in her last will and testament dated 17 March 1989, the University as her universal heir. In her last will and testament, Dr. Romana Schott attached conditions to the bequest; these Statutes are intended to ensure the fulfilment of those conditions.
Section 1 - Name
The Foundation shall bear the name Dr. Romana Schott-Fondszur Förderung des weiblichen wissenschaftlichen Nachwuchses (Dr. Romana Schott Foundation for the Support of Female Students).
Section 2 - The Nature of the Foundation’s Activities
(1) In her last will and testament dated 17 March 1989, Dr. Romana Schott stipulated, among other things, that in the event of her death:
I institute as my universal heir: Julius-Maximilians-Universität, 8700 Würzburg, Sanderring 2. I attach the following conditions to the bequest:
The University shall be obliged to use the funds bequeathed to it to provide grants to female students with a financial need who are enrolled in a programme at the University, irrespective of their subjects, and who have exhibited qualities of scholarship and character. Grants shall be awarded by the competent bodies of the University in accordance with the above criteria, and those students who are eligible for financial assistance under the GermanBundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz (Federal Training Assistance Act, BAföG) shall be deemed to have a financial need.
(2) Accordingly, the bequest should be used to support female students with a financial need who are enrolled in a programme at the University of Würzburg, irrespective of their subjects, and who have exhibited qualities of scholarship and character.
(3) To fulfil its purpose, the Foundation should award grants to female students, irrespective of their subjects.
Section 3 - The Foundation’s Capital Base
Section 4 - The Foundation’s Funds
(1) The Foundation shall finance its activities
- through revenue generated from its assets,
- through donations and contributions unless the donors explicitly stated that their donations or contributions must be used to strengthen the Foundation’s capital base.
(2) The Foundation’s funds must not be used for purposes other than those identified in these Statutes. No individual shall benefit from payments that are contrary to the wishes of the bequeather or are disproportionately high.
Section 6 - Distribution of Funds
The funds of the Dr. Romana Schott Foundation should be distributed among eligible individuals in an annual award procedure. ... Awards shall be made by nomination only. Individuals shall not have the right to put themselves forward for consideration, and candidates put forward for consideration for a grant awarded by the Foundation shall have no entitlement to such consideration.
Section 7 - Prerequisites for the Awarding of Grants
(1) Grants may only be awarded to candidates who have been put forward for consideration by an individual who is eligible to be a nominator under the provisions of Sentence 3, and reasons why a particular candidate should be considered for a grant must be supplied in writing; in addition, nominations must be accompanied by a statement of one of the following individuals or committees:
- the Dean of Studies of the nominating Faculty (preferred)
- the chairperson of a committee for the support of young academics at the nominating Faculty
- the Faculty Board of the nominating Faculty.
The nominator’s letter must discuss factors including, but not limited to, the nominee’s qualities of scholarship and character. All regular members of the teaching staff of the University of Würzburg as well as all regular members of the academic staff of the University of Würzburg pursuant to Bayerisches Hochschulgesetz (Bavarian Higher Education Act, BayHSchG) that are holding a doctorate shall have the right to put candidates forward for consideration for grants awarded by the Foundation.
(2) Grants should only be awarded to nominees who meet the criteria identified in Section 2 Subsection 2.
(3) In accordance with the wishes of the bequeather, those students who are eligible for financial assistance under the BAföG Act shall be deemed to have a financial need.
(4) Those students who meet the criterion identified in Section 9 of the BAföG Act shall be deemed to have exhibited the required qualities of scholarship. That Section provides that to be eligible for financial assistance under the Act, individuals must have shown promise to successfully complete their education.
(5) When determining whether nominees have exhibited the required qualities of character, the bequeather’s biography shall be taken into consideration. [This can be read to mean that it was the bequeather’s intention to support women who have overcome challenges on their path toward university.]
Section 8 - Terms and Conditions for the Awarding of Grants
(Conditions/Evidence of Expenditure of Funds)
(1) Grants shall be awarded in accordance with the provisions of Section 5 Letters b) through e) as well as Section 6 Richtlinien der Universität Würzburg für die Vergabe von Stipendien aus Spenden oder Drittmitteln (Guidelines of the University of Würzburg on the Awarding of Grants Financed from Donations or External Funds) except that the standard duration of grants shall be three years and that it shall be possible, upon receipt of a substantiated request that has the support of the competent committee pursuant to Section 7 Subsection 1 of these Statutes, to extend the duration of grants beyond that period. The awarding of grants shall be on the condition that the awardee submits, at the end of each year of the grant period, evidence of her continued financial need. In cases where the awarding of a grant is on the condition that the awardee also submits to the University of Würzburg any evidence of her academic achievements that she may have to submit to her BAföG Office during the grant period in accordance with the provisions of Sections 9 and 48 of the BAföG Act, the awardee must submit that evidence to Unit 2.2 of the University’s Central Administration.
(2) Grants may be awarded for purposes including, but not limited to, helping students pay for tuition fees or supporting student mothers.
How much can you get?
- Students without a financial need will not be awarded any grant funds.
- Students will not receive any funding while on leave of absence.
- Students without children will receive a monthly grant of €150.00.
- Student mothers with children under the age of 12 will receive an additional monthly payment of
- €200 (if they have one child)
- €300 (if they have two children)
- €400 (if they have three or more children)
Those amounts are considered adequate to help awardees cover the cost of their education and typical expenses. We will usually not ask awardees for evidence of the expenditure of the funds.