A trademark of JMU is the formation of interdisciplinary research centers such as the Biocenter, founded as the first of its kind in Germany in 1993. Here groups from biology, medicine, and chemistry jointly investigate topical questions in biomedicine with a focus on cancer and infection.
This successful structural approach has continuously been expanded, resulting in many highly visible institutions, e.g. the Research Center for Infectious Diseases, also established in 1993, the Rudolf Virchow Center for Experimental Biomedicine (founded in 2002), and the Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen Research Center (founded in 2006), which integrates groups from the natural and life sciences working on nanotechnology and nanoscience.
To support early translation, new centers in the life sciences such as the Comprehensive Heart Failure Centre (2010), the Comprehensive Cancer Center (2011), the Center for Mental Health (2016), and the Center for Personalized Molecular Immunotherapy (2016) involve close collaborations between biomedical groups at the university and clinicians at the university hospital. In the natural sciences, the most recent additions to JMU’s array of interdisciplinary research centers include the Institute for Topological Insulators and the Center for Nanosystems Chemistry, both established in 2016.
JMU’s research profile is further strengthened by recent partnerships with the Helmholtz Association and the Max Planck Society: A Helmholtz Institute for RNA-based infection research began operation in spring 2017 and the Max Planck Research Group “Systems Immunology” will begin operations in June 2017. Both institutes will be located at JMU’s biomedical campus. The university also closely cooperates with local institutes of the Fraunhofer Society (Silicate Research) and of the Bavarian Center for Applied Energy Research.
Research Centres (with the University Hospital)
- Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Comprehensive Heart Failure Center
- Interdisciplinary Bank of Biomaterials and Data Würzburg
- Interdisciplinary Center for Clinical Research
- Rudolf Virchow Center for Experimental Biomedicine
- Center for Personalized Molecular Immunotherapy
- Mathematisch-Informationstechnologisches und Naturwissenschaftliches Didaktik-Center (MIND-Centre)
- Professional School of Educational
Research Centers (Faculties)
Natural Science and Technology
- Center for Nanosystems Chemistry (CNC)
- Human Dynamics Centre (HDC)
- Center for Computational and Theoretical Biology (CCTB)
- Institute for Topological Isolators (ITI)
Affiliated Research Centers
- Bavarian Center for Applied Energy Research
- Research Center Magnetic Resonance Bavaria (MRB) e.V.
- Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits (IIS)
- Fraunhofer Institute for Silicate Research (ISC)
- Fraunhofer Translational Center "Regenerative Therapies"
- Helmholtz Institute for RNA-based infection research (HiRi)
- Max Planck Research Group for Systems Immunology