All students in Germany MUST have health insurance. Proof of health insurance must be presented at time of enrollment.
- Apply for a European Health Insurance Card "EHIC" through your health insurance company.
- Please hand in a copy of your EHIC at the International Students Office.
- If you are holding statutory health insurance in your home country, your health insurance will also be recognised in Germany.
- Please already clarify already in your home country which documents are needed for the recognition of health insurance!
- The German health insurance company will issue a confirmation letter.
- You need this letter to enrol.
Some other health insurances are also valid in Germany. To be valid in Germany, your health insurance must meet the following requirements:
- validity for the whole time of stay
- entire range of benefits like the German ones
- outpatient care
- inpatient care
- for women: treatment for pregnancy
- no limit for the benefits
- no waiting period for the benefits
If your health insurance meets all these requirements please show your insurance contract (must be written in German or English) to a German health insurance company so that they can confirm that your insurance is adequate for enrolment.
If your health insurance is not valid in Germany you have to take out a private or statutory health insurance in Germany before or after your arrival:
- Statutory health insurance is available for students who do not exceeded 14 semesters of study and are not older than 30 years. The cost (without children) is approximately 80 Euro per month. The cost is the same at all insurance companies.
- Private health insurance is usually more expensive and all costs must be paid out of pocket before the insurance company reimburses the costs.
Please note: If you have a private health insurance, you cannot switch to statutory health insurance.
You can find more information about health insurance in Germany on the Studierendenkanzlei website, on the DAAD website or on the website Krankenkassen-Zentrale (they provide information in different languages).
At some health insurance companies it is possible to insure online. You can find more information about this on the websites of the different health insurance companies.