JMU: A history of success
The history of Julius-Maximilians-Universität (JMU) Würzburg reaches back as far as 1402. At that time, it was the sixth institution of higher education to be founded in the German-speaking regions of Europe, after the universities in Prague, Vienna, Heidelberg, Cologne, and Erfurt.
Many eminent scholars and scientists, 14 Nobel Laureates among them, have conducted research and taught in Würzburg. Notable scientists include Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen, who discovered X-rays in Würzburg in 1895, and Klaus von Klitzing, who discovered the Quantum-Hall Effect. Today, Würzburg’s university comprises ten faculties with approximately 425 professors and 29,000 students.
An extensive choice of subjects
In addition to the four classic subjects – medicine, theology, philosophy, and law – the university also offers many new degree programs. The most recent additions include Nanostructure Technology, Functional Materials, Games Engineering, Modern China, Digital Humanities, Media Communications, Human Factors in Computing Systems, and Museology, just to name a few.
JMU remains strongly committed to eight pillars:
- Life Sciences
- Health Sciences
- Molecular Chemistry and Materials
- Quantum Phenomena in New Materials
- Digital Society
- Cultural Heritage
- Norms and Behavior
- Global Changes
A policy of expansion
As the number of degree programs offered has grown, so too has the university. To accommodate the growth of the student population, the Hubland Campus was built on a hill at the eastern edge of the city. Newly-designed degree programs and a steady influx of students continue to drive the institution’s growth. In 2011, the university expanded to include the newly established Campus Nord, a 39-hectare area in the immediate vicinity of Hubland Campus.
JMU is one of the leading institutions of higher education in Germany, according to the rankings of domestic and international research organizations and international expert committees. On an international level, the University of Würzburg ranks in the top bracket of academic institutions in many scientific disciplines including biology, medicine, physics, and psychology.
Research centres as a trademark
In the 1990s, the university began founding cross-faculty research centers, which opened up new research areas and possibilities for innovative degree programs. These interdisciplinary centers, such as the Research Center for Infectious Diseases, have become an internationally prominent trademark of the University of Würzburg.
The creation of research centers has pushed the university into the top tier of German academic institutions and has had numerous positive effects. For example, it has rapidly boosted the amount of public funding, private donations, and research funds from industrial companies. The number of academically prestigious publications has also grown significantly since the mid-1990s, even though the number of positions for professors and assistants at the university remained almost constant during that period.
Science and success
The University of Würzburg’s numerous Collaborative Research Centers, Research Training Groups, and Research Units, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) have greatly contributed to the university’s high standing in the scientific community. In 2002, the University of Würzburg launched one of three DFG-funded Centers of Excellence across Germany – the Rudolf Virchow Center/DFG Research Center for Experimental Biomedicine. The research teams investigate key proteins, which are especially important for sustained health and in understanding the origin of diseases.
Academic advancement of the next generation
The University of Würzburg is strongly committed to the advancement of junior academics. In 2004, the university established its Graduate Schools to provide doctoral candidates with the appropriate resources and facilities to continue and enhance their education.