Deutsch Intern
    Röntgenring Science Mile
    The University facilities at Röntgenring, color-highlighted on a historical aerial photograph.
    The University facilities at Röntgenring, color-highlighted on a historical aerial photograph.

    Sites of Discovery

    Today's Röntgenring was formerly named Pleicher Ring, after the Pleich district, where the University's natural science departments were located before they moved to the "Am Hubland" expansion grounds on the outskirts of the city, near the suburb of Gerbrunn.

    It is noteworthy that all of our Nobel Laureates worked here, and even today, top-level research is being conducted in the historical buildings. Physics and Chemistry may have left, but institutes and departments of Psychology, Medicine, or the Geosciences are still housed here.

    Despite the devastation of Würzburg in World War II, many of the original structures have been rebuilt or restored.

     

    The Physical Institute in 1927.
    The Physical Institute in 1927.

    In the old Physical Institute, Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen discovered x-rays. Today, the building is no longer part of the University, having been deeded to Würzburg's University of Applied Sciences during the move to the "Am Hubland" expansion grounds.

    The neighboring Anatomy Building was the workplace of the eminent German physicians Rudolf Virchow and Rudolf Albert Koelliker.

    Part of the Old Chemistry compound in 1927. This building does not exist any more.
    Part of the Old Chemistry compound in 1927. This building does not exist any more.

    The Old Chemistry Building was the site for Nobel Laureate Walter Nernst's research. The small structure on the right no longer exists. Today, the Chemistry complex, which is closed off by a villa on Röntgenring, mostly houses departments of the Institute of Psychology. The villa itself was home to Nobel Laureate Eduard Buchner during his time in Würzburg.

    If you want to know more, simply stroll along the Science Mile or visit the Nobel Laureate Exhibition.

    Contact

    Universität Würzburg
    Sanderring 2
    97070 Würzburg

    Phone: +49 931 31-0
    Fax: +49 931 31-82600

    Find Contact

    Sanderring Röntgenring Hubland Nord Hubland Süd Campus Medizin