After a short-lived first foundation in 1402, Julius-Maximilians University was permanently endowed and established in 1582 on the initiative of Prince Bishop Julius Echter von Mespelbrunn.
Today, more than four hundred years later, the University can look back on a history full of successes. Famous scholars and scientists, such as Rudolf Virchow, Carl Siebold, and Franz Brentano researched and taught at Würzburg's University.
Fourteen Nobel Laureates – among them physicists Wilhelm C. Röntgen and Klaus von Klitzing, as well as chemist Hartmut Michel and physician Harald zur Hausen - worked here at some stage of their careers.
Almost completely obliterated during the bombing raid on Würzburg in 1945, the institution quickly recovered. After reconstruction, substantial extension measures were initiated in the 1960s and continue to this day.