Looking back at the development of the university from the original four faculties (Theology, Law, Medicine, and Philosophy) to today's ten faculties, one can see a widened spectrum of opportunities that offers students balanced, broad, and high-quality courses of study.
- 1582: The university opens its doors with departments of Theology and Philosophy and soon expands to include schools of Law and Medicine.
- 1878: The Faculty of Philosophy is divided into the histirico-philosophical and mathematical-scientific departments.
- 1937: The mathematical-scientific department becomes the university's fifth faculty.
- 1968: The Faculty of Law and Political Science is divided into two separate entities: the School of Law and the Faculty of Economics. At this point the university is comprised of six faculties.
- 1972: The former College of Education is integrated into the university as the Faculty of Education.
- 1974: As a result of governmental reforms issued for all institutes of higher education in Germany, the university is restructured to include 13 faculties.
- 1977: The Department of Education is dissolved and the 12 remaining faculties are integrated into the current university structure.
- 2007: The university is restructured to include ten faculties.