Deutsch Intern

    Costs an Financing


    Semester Contribution

    There are no tuition fees at the University of Würzburg. However you must pay the semester contribution each semester for enrollment or re-registration. The break-down of the fee is:

    • Student contribution: 50,00 €
    • Semester ticket: 74,50 €

    More detailed information can be found on the websites of the Registrar’s Office.

    Living Costs

    The living costs in Würzburg are low compared to other German cities. Of course this also depends strongly on the individual life style, but you should expect monthly costs of about 700 €.

    Eating200,00 €
    Living250,00 €
    Health Insurance80,00 €
    Other152,00 €
    Broadcasting fees (AZDBS/GEZ)*18,00 €
    Total700,00 €

    A detailed description of the living costs in Würzburg compared to Munich can be found here.

    *Broadcasting Fee (GEZ)

    If you are staying in Germany longer than three months and have your own radio and/or television or internet-enabled PC, you must register these items and pay a broadcasting fee. The registration form can be found online or at banks and Sparkasse.

    Monthly fee: 17,50 €

    Note: In a shared flat (WG), the broadcasting fee contribution is a monthly fee for the whole apartment. Talk with your roommates about how you will apportion the fees.

    Information and forms:

    Informations in different languages:


    BAföG (ONLY EU citizens, refugees and students with settlement permit)

    • EU citizens (resided in Germany for at least five years), refugees and students with settlement permit may receive BAföG.
    • Important: BAföG is an interest-free loan. This means, that you partially have to repay it (maximum 10 000 €).
      For further infomation please check bafö
    • You have to make your BAföG request at the responsible student service (Studentenwerk).
    • Please note that it may take some months until your BAföG request is processed. Please make your request at least 3 months before starting your studies.
    • If you need help with your BAföG request please email

    You can finance your studies or doctoral studies in Germany with the help of scholarships. There are two possibilities to receive a scholarship:

    • In your home country: Ask your home university about university partnership scholarships, Erasmus etc. You can also inform yourself about scholarships offered by the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
    • In Germany: The database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) provides an overview of scholarships for foreign students and doctoral candidates. The DAAD also has offices abroad where you can get information before departure. Here you can find further information on scholarships for international students.
    • Another database for scholarships is Stipendienlotse
    Working while you study

    If you want to work while you are studying in Germany, please note the following information:

    • Students from countries within the EU and the EEA are on equal terms on the labor market and are allowed to work during studies;
    • Students from other countries are allowed to work 120 days of full-time work or 240 half days per year (which also concludes voluntary internships). If you would like to work more you need a permission from the agency for employment (Agentur für Arbeit) or the immigration office;
    • Important: Be sure your studies do not suffer if you have a side job! Please read the information  on the legal framework of the DAAD.
    • Find further information here.

    On the following pages you can search for job opportunities in Würzburg:


    Department 1: Service Centre International Affairs
    Josef-Martin-Weg 54/2
    Campus Hubland Nord
    97074 Würzburg


    Find Contact

    Hubland Nord, Geb. 54